Saturday, February 11, 2023

Sharing is Caring

Much like Chapter 1, there wasn't a whole lot I learned in Chapter 2 with the exception of file sharing. I have never used file sharing with Windows before, and I doubt I ever will with things like Google Drive and Dropbox existing. However, much like setting up my raid system, I like the idea of having files interlinked through a network connection. Though file sharing seems to be outdated in the current world, I definitely see it's use. If Drive didn't exist, my fathers company would have to use file sharing in order to have a base of operations, otherwise we would be very disorganized. 

It is also interesting how you are able to map a drive using file sharing. It is much similar to my raid system, though I prefer the storage of my raid system as well as it's redundancy.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because my job does not involve research or the need to share files with others, I find all of this type of technology very interesting. However, the way telemedicine is going, I'm sure I will need this in my wheelhouse and from reading your post and looking up a raid system, this is something I may need to learn as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, love your post's title :-)

    One advantage of file sharing through Windows is that it only requires a network connection, not a network connection plus a connection outside that network (i.e. to the Internet).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used file sharing at work many times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like google drive. Wish they gave more storage though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's interesting to hear your perspective on file sharing and how it can still be relevant, even with newer options like Google Drive and Dropbox available. However, as you mentioned, having a redundant and reliable storage system like your RAID setup can also be important for data security and accessibility.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I overlooked the chapter of sharing. It is useful when you are disconnected to outside but you wanna share things between a phone and a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. File sharing is important to me in my work life we constantly have to share files to one another regarding important information. File sharing is awesome it's a great way to edit and change information within a group of people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The company I work for uses pCloud for our file sharing. Works alright but it could sure use some minor quality of life tweaks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. File sharing has always been such an elusive idea to me knowing that google drive and drop box exist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back in the pre-cloud days, sharing files involved using file transfer protocol applications or else copying files to a disc and then mailing it or walking it over to a colleague (affectionately known as ‘sneakernet’). Emails could also be sent (and many people still use email as their main “file-sharing” option), but size limits on attachments and security concerns discouraged this practice.

    ReplyDelete