Saturday, February 4, 2023

Data in the Clouds

Since my father started his new company, I've learned a lot about cloud computing in the past few months. Back in November, my father bought a raid system (with cloud support) and asked me to set it up. I originally thought it would be as easy as putting the hard drives in, and plugging it into an outlet... I was wrong. I spent a few hours researching different raid systems and the purpose of each. I knew my dad purchased the raid system with the intention of redundancy, but I also didn't want to limit the storage space too much, so I went with raid 1 which splits the system in half. The first half is the actual hard drive you save data to, and the second half is just a copy of the first half. After setting this up, I had to connect the system to the internet in order to gain it's cloud computing capabilities. After all of this was done, it was just a matter of copying data over to the raid system. 

Relating back to what I learned in 1.2.12, I used all the benefits associated with cloud computing. I also have the disadvantages associated with cloud computing, with the exception of cloud hosting outages. If my internet is down, it turns into a regular raid system and I can upload data manually if I have to.

16 comments:

  1. Very glad to hear what you learned in 1.2.12 Cloud Computing Facts is relevant to you helping setting up a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks (RAID) system with cloud support ^_^

    So when your internet connection is down, the RAID system still functions and you can manually upload the data when internet connection is re-established? Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I just heard of this and what I've read so far mentions, 'higher write latency' since data needs to be written to both drives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have never heard of a RAID system before. I'm sure my work has a system such as this for all the files we have. There is so much that goes behind using computers that I never thought about or knew or cared to learn about until this course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you put in a lot of effort to research and understand the different types of RAID systems and how they work. I am not as familiar with the system, but this experience must have given you a good understanding of how cloud computing and data storage work. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Shane, it is great to know you are being family oriented and helping your father set up his raid system. I was unfamiliar with the term raid system but after doing some research I have been able to gain some knowledge about it. I believe among all the types of raid systems you chose the one that splits data into two storage devices which can be effective in securing data in case one device fails. I hope some of the data on the raid systems could be stored on the cloud as well so you could keep your data safe in case the disks run into errors and damage the data.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splitting the system in half is a good idea. I think making a backup is extremely important for the emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the cloud! My job also uses a cloud service to transfer files amongst the office! I never considered suggesting our own raid system! Great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reading this blog post, what i understand is that a data storage computer was setup. The storage was split into two where the first one had all the original files and data nd the second one has all the copies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So what I understand with this blog is that you are storing the data in one database and copying it to another so that it asks as a backup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to think i was the tech person in my household but after being in the class i feel like i know nothing about computers lol, your dad is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cloud computing sounds foreign to me and your understanding to it is fascinating! This is something I need to get familiarized with, thank you for sharing your experience with cloud computing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man it's awesome that you've been able to help your dad out with his company. I hope since then you've become an amazing asset to the company!

    ReplyDelete
  16. RAID 1 is the most straightforward RAID level: straight mirroring. As with other RAID levels, it only makes sense if the partitions are on different physical disk drives. If one of those drives fails, the block device provided by the RAID array will continue to function as normal.

    ReplyDelete